Monday, December 20, 2010

christmas time is here

This season marks one of the most special times of the year. It’s intimate, it’s warm, and it’s familiar. It’s also very difficult to maintain that intimacy, warmth and familiarity when I’m 5,412 miles away from home. I miss my American traditions; ice skating, listening to the Nutcracker, baking sugar cookies, volunteering, decorating the Christmas tree, trips to the mountain, fires, Christmas parties, ugly Christmas sweaters, carolers, Candy Cane Lane, Christmas lights, gingerbread houses, carousel rides, Downtown Seattle, the Christmas ship, FAMILY, etc…

I am becoming more and more sentimental with time and as I look back and reflect on the past twenty-one Christmases I have experienced, I am overfilled with joy. I may not be with my family this year for Christmas, but knowing that I have family to go back to, no matter what, gives me so much peace. Jimi Hendrix once said, “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” In a world where, despite our own advances we still see brokenness and experience hunger, it is my hope that you are blessed with peace; peace of mind to navigate this rough and terrifying economy, peace in your relationships, peace to overcome uncertainty, in the decisions you make, etc… For this is what I am seeking. Well, that and Sergio Ramos haha.

To my family and friends back home, I love you always, have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment